FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SUPPORTS THE ESTABLISHMENT OF CIRCACOA News Release admin July 23, 2015
ACOA News Release
Moncton, N.B. – Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency – July 23, 2015 –
The Government of Canada announced a $750,000 investment today in the Canadian Imaging Research Centre, formerly called the Canadian Diagnostic Research Centre Inc., for equipment and improvements that will help enhance research and commercialization opportunities in the health and life sciences sector.
Robert Goguen, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Justice and Member of Parliament for Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Regional Minister for New Brunswick and Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency), joined Canadian Imaging Research Centre officials at Moncton’s MRI office to make the announcement today.
The CIRC is a non-profit organization, created to provide health researchers with support and access to advanced medical diagnostic imaging infrastructure, expertise and other research-critical resources in New Brunswick. Specifically, the project will increase capacity in the health research field by providing assistance towards equipment costs, facility improvements, marketing and training. This will help the CIRC carry out a broad range of diagnostic imaging services designed to support research and commercialization initiatives, primarily in the health sciences sector. In order to increase this research activity, the CIRC will combine the resources of the Moncton MRI office and the Canadian Health Solutions facility in Grand Bay/Westfield.
• The CIRC is a strategic collaboration between Canadian Health Solutions (CHS); Moncton MRI and Health & Life Science New Brunswick.
• The establishment of the CIRC will leverage private sector investment; augment existing resources and build research capacity and economic activity in the region.
• The CIRC will provide access to critical 3T MRI diagnostic imaging equipment and research personnel expertise.
• The Government of Canada, through ACOA’s Innovative Communities Fund (ICF), is providing a contribution of $750,000 toward this project, while Canadian Health Solutions Inc. and Moncton MRI are providing $568,102.
“Our Government’s top priority is jobs, growth and long-term prosperity. Our investment in the Canadian Imaging Research Centre will bring resources together to create a collaborative research environment, attracting world-class experts. This will in turn build research capacity and economic development opportunities throughout the region.”
– Robert Goguen, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Justice and MP for Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe, on behalf of the Honourable Rob Moore, Regional Minister for New Brunswick and Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
“Medical research in New Brunswick and indeed Atlantic Canada has been limited by access to advanced medical diagnostic imaging. With the funding support received today from ACOA, the Canadian Imaging Research Centre will enable researchers and clinicians to have access to infrastructure and specialized personnel to support Atlantic Canadian research and innovation. This support will be made available to medical personnel, universities, innovators, hospitals and charitable organizations.”
– Dr. David Elias, Chairman, Canadian Imaging Research Centre