Job Posting: Acadian SeaplantsShawni Beaulieu February 27, 2018
Acadian Seaplants is currently seeking a detail-oriented and knowledgeable Molecular Biologist for their Acadian Plant Health™ Division. This position will be based at their Dr. James S. Craigie Research Center in Cornwallis, Nova Scotia. This is a challenging yet rewarding role for a Molecular Biologist who would like to make their contribution to an organization that is a world leader in providing value-added marine plant-based products in the food and agricultural markets in over 80 countries worldwide.
As an ideal candidate for this role, you have a Ph.D in Molecular Biology, Plant Science or Microbiology. A M.Sc in Molecular Biology with proven experience may be considered. To be successful, you must have proven experience in current molecular techniques such as: Next Generation Sequencing, Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) and Quantitative Polymerase Chain Reaction (qPCR), Gel Electrophoresis, Blotting and Microarrays. You have also experience in laboratory microbiology techniques associated with bacteria and fungi such as: isolation and selection of microbes from soil and plant tissue samples, growth, identification, extraction and purification of microbial DNA and RNA for molecular analysis.
The Key Technical Responsibilities:
Reporting to the VP, Research & Development, the Molecular Biologist supports the understanding of the mode of action of both existing plant biostimulant products, new biostimulant and biocontrol products in plant response and in interaction with soil microbes, from genomic to phenomic.
Ultimately, the Molecular Biologist is in charge of the overall management of the molecular biology lab.
More Specifically, the Molecular Biologist:
- Writes, designs and executes all molecular studies using updated molecular techniques, such as, but not limited to, DNA and RNA extraction from samples for genes investigation, PCR, qPCR assays, library preparation for NGS, quality assurance of DNA and sequencing libraries, and gel electrophoresis.
- Orients research topics in the molecular studies to keep the team at the forefront of the Molecular Biology Science.
- Troubleshoots in-house research experiments and optimizes molecular biology protocols accordingly by implementing new molecular biology techniques.
- Builds primers for commercial crop species (soybean, corn, tomato, rice, cotton, etc.)
- Performs gene expression experiments with plant material.
- Uses sterile techniques and maintains sanitary conditions in all areas where research is conducted.
- Drafts the molecular biology sections in collaborative research proposals for funding applications with academic and/or industry partners.