Job Posting: Verschuren Centre for Sustainability in Energy and the EnvironmentShawni Beaulieu March 9, 2018
Position: Agri-food Research Lead: Bioprecessing and Bio-products
Classification: Full time, two year renewable, non-tenure
Location: Verschuren Centre for Sustainability in Energy and the Environment
The Verschuren Centre for Sustainability in Energy and the Environment (Verschuren Centre), Cape Breton University was created to inspire and facilitate industry relevant research, development and demonstration. It has a focus of clean technology development and deployment with the goal of commercializing innovative and sustainable solutions.
Accountable to the CEO, the incumbent will develop and advance research activities under the Verschuren Centre’s Bio-processing & Bio-products Program toward sustainable growth in the Agri-food and marine sectors.
- Lead bio-refinery pilot processing activities, including designing and conducting process optimization work
- Expand research program on food and marine based by-products for value creation including extractions of functional ingredients & bio-active molecules (proteins/peptides, polysaccharides).
- Build academic collaborations with other universities and engage with industry partners in fundamental and applied research solutions, respectively.
- Prepare application for program based funding; grant and report writing, manuscript preparation and presentations at industrial and academic meetings.
- Supervise researcher assistants, graduate students and limited undergraduate projects
- Integrate with Verschuren Centre operations and business strategy and participate in network development and initiatives.
- PhD in food science/chemistry/biochemistry/bioprocessing or related fields, or MSc with minimum 10 years industry relevant experience.
- Demonstrate experience in bioprocessing, extraction, and/or characterization and evaluation methods of bioactive molecules.
- Knowledge and experience in microbiology and enzymatic or fermentation processes will be an asset.
- Familiarity with general analytical techniques for biomolecule characterization (oils, proteins/peptides and polysaccharides) with specific expertise in chromatographic methods (HPLC/GC/UPLC-MS-MS/GPC/SEC).
- Strong knowledge of experimental design, and good track record in peer-reviewed publication.
- Good leadership skills and previous experience in HQP training and/or student supervision will be preferred.
- Excellent communication, organization, computer skills along with strong sense of teamwork and ethics.
TO APPLY: Please send CV and cover letter before March 31st attention of: CEO, Verschuren Centre; firstname.lastname@example.org