Basics 101 and Best Practices on SR&EDadmin February 4, 2017
Part 1: SR&ED Basics 101 Learn about Incentives- (10:45AM-11:45AM)
The session will be a high-level introduction to Government Incentives and the SR&ED program in particular. In this session we will cover
- Government Incentives Landscape – who funds what.
- Considerations when sourcing funding – similarities and differences between programs and how they interact.
-What makes an R&D project SR&ED?
-What portions of teh scope of your R&D project
-Qualifying Expenditure types
-Describing the SR&ED project- not the same as your R&D project
-Supporting your claim
Part 2: SR&ED Program Overview- (11:45AM-12:45PM)
The SR&ED program is the largest source of federal financial support for R&D in Canada with approximately 21,000 claims filed annually. While the program has been in existence for many years, there are some areas that remain challenging. Following a brief overview for those less familiar with the SR&ED program, the session will focus on the eligibility of projects, work within those projects, and the information CRA needs to evaluate eligibility. Some of the key topics:
- o SR&ED Program overview
- o R&D versus SR&ED: When are they the same? When are they different?
- o What portions of your R&D project is SR&ED
- o Supporting your claim
- o Describing your SR&ED project – It’s not necessarily the same as your R&D project:
- Technological Uncertainties
- Work Done
- Technological Advancements